"Sleep is the best meditation."
According to the Dalai Lama and bright-eyed smuggos who manage to get an easy eight hours shut-eye.
But what if you have that itchy, restless feeling and a busy mind that stops you from feeling sleepy? Or that melancholy Sunday night feeling and a churning tummy? You've tried to cut down on screen time before bed and tried reading, but you just can't seem to let yourself drift away...
Perhaps the scene is different though. Maybe you're frazzled after a fraught day and you can't wait to curl up and unwind with a bar of chocolate, a hot drink and your new book.
Moon milk may just be the ticket to help you unwind and relax. There's something about holding a warm, milky drink that can feel comforting and I often think that hygge is a way of mothering ourselves.
What is Moon Milk?
Moon milk comes from Ayurvedic traditions, where warm milky drinks are used as common natural remedies for anxiety, insomnia and sleeplessness. Moon milk can be as simple as milk and honey or more fancy, using adaptogens**, herbs, fruit, flowers and spices. It’s easy to replace cow’s milk with other non-dairy milks, such as coconut, oat or almond milk.
**Adaptogens relieve stress by adjusting the release of stress hormones from the adrenal glands. Research suggests that they can restore and support the body's immune function, however, like any supplement, it's important to carry out your own research and speak your GP before using, and avoid if pregnant or breastfeeding.
Common Moon Milk Ingredients
- Plant based milks such as almond, oat, or coconut milk
- Adaptogens such as ashwagandha, turmeric, rosemary, goji berries, bee pollen or maca root
- Natural sugar alternatives for example honey, agave syrup or coconut nectar
- Fruits: cherry juice, raspberries, blackberries or freeze-dried ingredients such as freeze-dried raspberries, beetroot powder etc.
- Dried flower petals such as lavender, chamomile and rose
- Gentle spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom
- Healthy fats such as coconut oil
How to make Moon Milk
- In a pan or microwavable jug, add 1 cup of your chosen milk to 1 tsp of each of the ingredients from the list above: a sweetener, healthy fat, adaptogen or gentle spice, and fruits, flowers/herbs of your choice.
- Gently heat until warmed throughout, then blend until frothy or strain.
- If you like, decorate with scattered flower petals.
Lavender and Rose Moon Milk
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp dried culinary lavender
1 tsp dried rose petals
2-3 drops of rosewater
1 tsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp ashwagandha (optional - pungent, so use sparingly)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tblsp cherry juice (juice from tinned morello cherries)
Prepare as above and then scatter dried lavender and rose petals over if you like.
Shop The Blog
You May Also Like