Is there a more comforting sight than a bowl of chilli on a damp and drizzly evening? Something to warm you from within as you curl up and watch a crime drama or to share after a wintery weekend walk.
Here’s my favourite recipe. I'd love to know if it becomes yours - let me know in the comments below or tag me in your photos @brambleandfoxshopuk.
"Let there be you, let there be meLet there be oysters under the seaLet there be wind and occasional rainChilli con carne and sparkling champagne..."
Veg Chilli Ingredients
2 tblsp veg oil
2 onions, finely chopped
1 bag (around 300g) veg mince
2 (400g) cans of red kidney beans
1 (500g) jar passatta
Half a bottle of dark ale (I use Newcastle Brown Ale)
225ml strong coffee
325g tomato puree
50g soft dark brown sugar
2 tblsp chilli powder - add more if you like it stronger
1tblsp cumin seeds
1 tsp barbeque seasoning
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic puree
1 tsp ground cayenne
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
Juice of half a lime
1 tblsp unsweetened cocoa
Optional - fresh chillies, seeded and chopped finely.
Veg Chilli Method
1. Fry off the finely chopped onions in the veg oil until softened and slightly golden. Add the red kidney beans and fry until softened.
2. In a little bowl, add together the following herbs and spices: chilli powder, barbeque seasoning, optional fresh chillies, cumin seeds, dried oregano, garlic puree, ground cayenne, ground coriander, salt.
3. Stir together and add to the onion and kidney bean mix.
4. Pour in the passatta, coffee, soft dark brown sugar, cocoa powder, and beer.
5. Stir in the veg mince.
6. Add tomato puree, lime juice and stock.
7. Simmer down until chilli is the consistency that you like and adjust the level of chilli to suit.
8. Serve with rice, guacamole, sour cream and tortilla chips.
You may also like: